Friday, September 14, 2012

Secrets to my success

One of the questions I get asked frequently is... how do you knit so much, so fast? I don't think I'm a particularly fast knitter, however, I do have more time to devote to it than most people I think. This is because:

1) I don't have children. Well, I do.. but they look like this:

And they are quite content to curl up in a pile of yarn right alongside me.

2) I'm a horrible housekeeper. I have no problem neglecting the sweeping, mopping, laundry, dusting... whatever... in favour of knitting. Speaking of which, I think I'm running out of clean underpants....

3) I do cook, but only on the weekends (week nights Dave and I are different schedules, so it's usually fend for yourself and I end up eating cereal or chips). When I do cook, I've mastered the "set it and forget it" meal (aka slowcooker) or it's a quick-fix meal - prepped and cooked in 30 minutes.

4) Because I cook, Dave cleans the kitchen.

5) When the knitting bug bites hard (which is frequently), I'm more than happy to neglect all other hobbies (drawing, sewing, crafting, writing etc) for it.

6) I have a steady supply of tv shows and movies on DVD and completely control over the remote (seriously, I don't think Dave even knows how to work the DVD player) so I've always got something to watch, which I find makes it easier to engage in knitting for long periods.

7) When I'm sitting and knitting, Dave is more than happy to blow up zombies or sink battleships, so there's no interference from that corner.

8) I don't have much of a social life. Most of our friends live and hour or more away, so we only get together every few months. And I've always been more happy chilling at home than out partying.

9) I'm able to knit at work. I eat my lunch at my desk while I'm working and then I have a full hour to sit and knit - it's just too bad my work wasn't easier to commute by train to - I'd have even more time to knit!

So basically, I do nothing but knit....and now... I have a full weekend of it planned.... so I better get to it!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I would say those three will be slowing down the progress unless they move. LOL

Have a good weekend.

Delusional Knitter said...

Well other than being able to knit at work, we pretty much have the same life ... so why don't I get more knit up?!? LOL!!

The Well Fed Wheel said...

After reading your post, I'm thinking I need to have your Dave teach my gardener how to clean the kitchen because other than that it sounds like we pretty much have the same life as well!! ;-D

Minding My Own Stitches said...

I can't say that my cat would make it on any list of things that contribute to my knitting success :) Although she probably interferes less than a child would.

Ann Boyajian said...

Don't your "children" ever (make a mess of) play with your yarn?

RobinH said...

I am totally with you on 1 and 2. On 3&4, my husband and I are flipped- he cooks and I clean up. 5, I can totally relate to- the only hobby that pre-empts knitting is karate, because that's on a schedule. 6-9 are more problematical- I watch DVDs or knit on the exercise bike- can't do all three without all of them suffering. Also, I rarely read and knit at the same time. And knitting at work is limited, so say the least. And I frequently find myself working later instead of leaving early to pick up my husband at the train station and knitting while I wait. Vexing, but the work has to get done some time.